Sunday, November 11, 2012

Flower Tutorial

Okay, everyone that knows me will tell you that I love flowers. I don't get to buy many of the beautiful Prima, Petaloo, ManorHouse and other blooms. So I try to duplicate the look of some of them. I just got some of the pretty little Prima Overture blooms, they had a soft watercolor look, so I decided to try to make my own. I was pretty happy with the result, so I thought I'd share with you

Below you will see the blooms in the pack and 3 of mine beside it. I used watercolor pencils and a waterbrush.

Here are 3 of mine on the top row and the 3 original below them, not exact, but good enough for me!

To start off, use a punch or handcut three 5-petal flowers, and three 3-petal ones. I used white cardstock, and you want to use a thinner cardstock to manipulate the petals easier.

Next, take your watercolor pencil and color in sections of the blooms, color three petals the brighter color and 2 yellow. On the three petals, just vary the sections. You also want to color both sides of all the blooms.

Next, use the waterbrush and blend all of the blooms. Blend on both sides, they will look something like the ones below.

Now, while they are still damp, you want to curl the edges, all the same direction. You can use a stylus, a pencil or whatever you are used to. On one of the 3 petal ones, cut one petal seperate and curl them like shown.

You can make the base of the blooms by drawing a star shape with 2 shades of green and blending it the same way.

Attach each layer, alternating the petal direction, then adhere to the green bottom. This is what the finished bloom will look like! Pretty close to the real thing!!! I love the softness of the colors!!! I used Stampin' Up watercolor pencils, the colors are great!

Now, I'm going to use them on a layout! I am going to play with doing some more variations of these little blooms, they were really easy!!! Thanks so much for stopping by and I hope you liked the tutorial!!! Let me know if you did!

10 comments:

Theresa said...

Love your flowers Patti. I make mine all the time now too. Can get the exact colors I want. thanks as always for sharing.

Lizzyc said...

These look wonderful, I would not have known the difference once they are on a layout! thanks for sharing!!!

Midnightscrapper said...

very cool, Im deff going to have to give this a go!. thank you for the great tut...

Anonymous said...

Wow Patti, your flowers are amazing! I could barely tell the difference at all! Well done :-)

Sandra said...

I really did like your tutorial and want to thank you for sharing. The flowers look amazing, such soft colours with the water pencils.

Dana Tatar said...

Awesome tutorial! You nailed the look!

Vicky Alberto said...

soooo gorgeous!!!

Karola Witczak said...

Fantastic tutorial, Patti!! Flowers looks awesome!!

Jan Hennings said...

WOW! Love your flowers and the layout are gorgeous...beautiful little girls :)

Unknown said...

I just want them in my dining room. They are looking awesome...
wall decals